On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 02:33 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Montag 09 November 2009, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
> >       * preferably not spca drivers, as they seem a bit behind lately
> >       * no logitech quickcams, due to their problems with skype
>
> what problems with skype? I am thinking about buying a logitech c600...

Exactly this issue:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/Quickcam-Pro-9000-Skype-System-hangs/m-p/396119?nobounce

Mostly windows, afair, which I have to use it on occasionally.  I bought
an E5500 for my mum and it took a few months to get it going (admittedly
she is interstate, so I only had a few hours a month to try!)  The
solution was weird, and some "new" windows version of skype seemed to be
immune, but I was already burned!

The same quickcam on my gentoo box didn't have any problems.  Apparently
it was specific to certain quickcams, but this was a while ago, so
details in my brain are sketchy!

Can you get 720p on linux with the C600?

I love dogs, but I hate Chihuahuas.  A Chihuahua isn't a dog.  It's a rat
with a thyroid problem.