2009/11/11 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerar...@googlemail.com>:
> On Mittwoch 11 November 2009, Walter Dnes wrote:
>>   Programmers all seem to have gaming rigs.  It's been a struggle to
>> keep hal and dbus off my machines.  And I was unhappy when Firefox put
>> SQLite in as a hard dependancy.  I think you'll simply have to give up
>> on KDE and its applications.
>>

> hal and dbus have as much as zero performance impact. And dbus also replaces
> dcop. So there there is a system less running.
> mysql embedded is also a very low load.

In an ideal world we would have a light version and a heavy/full
featured version of everything.  However, in reality people develop
what they need/fancy and hardware technology advances - so we have to
find workarounds and make compromises.

KDE used to be more light-footed than Gnome, so I invariably used most
of its applications on my ancient hardware.  It seems that with KDE4
this is becoming increasingly less so.

I've been running this PIII laptop for the last 11 years (wow!!!
doesn't time fly) and it has become increasingly sluggish because most
packages are designed for modern machines which are of course more
powerful.  It is only reasonable that building some of today's apps
for a Pentium 1 or Pentium 2 is not going to work particularly well
... so I'll be breaking the piggy bank and buying something more up to
date any day now.  That should hopefully keep the noise down.
--
Regards,
Mick