On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 22:18 +0000, Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2009 22:09:01 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Gdm itself has a config option to disallow root logins
>
> Ahh, unfortunately I can only access it remotely via ssh at this stage.
> Hopefully the pam method will work fine.

You don't need anything more to configure gdm than ssh access - this is
Linux after all & a good program has text based configurations :)

Edit /etc/X11/gdm/custom.conf

In the section [security] add:
AllowRoot=false

You may then have to restart xdm.

However, if someone has the root password to log in to X, then what's to
stop them changing anything you do now?

BOFH Excuse #112:

The monitor is plugged into the serial port