On Nov 23, 2009, at 8:11 PM, Hal Martin wrote:

Hello all,

Sorry if it seems like this is a repeat question, but I've gone through my Gentoo list for the past 2 years and none of the answers provided for

/etc/exports:
/mnt/daigo      192.168.0.31(rw,insecure)

A couple of years ago, I experienced the same type of issue where nfs performance was a lot lower than smb. It turned out a switch I was using was bad. I suggest first minimizing your testing network, and then swapping components such as switches. Others on the LinuxMCE list had issues with specific network drivers.

I current use nfs between kubuntu, gentoo, and macbook (10.5.8 2GHz Core 2 Duo) systems. I have media volumes on the kubuntu, and both gentoo systems. I use autofs on each system for mounting the nfs volumes. Here's an example of the settings:

/etc/exports:
/var/media 192.168.80.0/24(async,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash,insecure)

/etc/auto.media:
royw-gentoo -rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,timeo=30,rw royw-gentoo:/ var/media dad-kubuntu -rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,timeo=30,rw dad-kubuntu:/ var/media

My macbook "Connect to Server":
nfs://royw-gentoo/var/media/public/data
nfs://dad-kubuntu/var/media/public/data

The no_subtree_check and the no_root_squash parameters are left over from when I used LinuxMCE.

The insecure parameter is required to allow the macbook to connect.

The rsize and wsize seem to work fine for streaming dvd iso images to my gentoo XBMC system over gigabit ethernet. I've also streamed a few movies to my macbook and did not notice any performance issues.

My media drives are WDC WD10EACS (1TB).

How are you testing performance? With test procedure I can try to duplicate.

HTH,
Roy