> I'm running the 2.6.31-gentoo-r6 kernel,
> xorg-server-1.6.5-r1 and  x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.11
> So, this is quite recent.

> Only killing X itself cures the problem.
> Of course, I have reemerged x11-base/xorg-server x11-drivers/ati-drivers
> and I have run revdep-rebuild.
>
> Probably I have to somehow compare every lib on the "faulty" machine
> to another once which should have identical packages.

Another thing you might try it to have X automatically reconfigure
itself.  I find that my xorg.conf gets somewhat bloated from my manual
edits, lack of bad commenting, and trying lots of options.  This
resulted in my machine loading a lot of modules, and I wasn't really
sure which ones i needed and which ones I enabled for what reasons
over the last three years since I compiled this machine.

Make a copy of xorg.conf....copy it to somewhere like /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

Then let it autoconfigure:

$ X -configure

That will make a temporary xorg.conf which you should move to /etc/X11
or ~/ depending on your setup.  It could be that one of the modules
you're loading into X is the cause.  I had done this recently as well
trying to solve my X processor problems, and it might be useful.

Alternatively, you can just comment out one-by-one any modules or
devices you're loading with xorg.conf and see if any of them are
responsible.  It's more manual work than rebuilding all your
libraries, but it beats the hell out of re-emerging your whole system
on a guess....

Regards,
daid