>> > You say "Chaos ensues" ... in what way? Further errors, failure to
>> > boot, file system corruption, or...? The problem isn't likely rooted
>> > in the fact that it doesn't run an fsck when the system's booting on
>> > battery, but rather that you have some more pressing problem that
>> > should be addressed.
>>
>> /var and /home fail to mount with predictable consequences.
>
> That's not caused by fsck not running, on most boots it doesn't run
> anyway, just looks to see if it's due o be run. If those filesystems
> won't mount without being fscked first, there is something wrong with
> them and they need to be fixed.

Right.

Go ahead and turn off fsck at boot to deal with these more serious
problems first.  This is controlled by the 0 or 1 flag in /etc/fstab
(1 being fsck during boot every so-often).  You can make it look
something like:

/dev/sda3               /               ext3            noatime         0 0

Of course, if there are serious filesystem structural problems you'll
want to get them solved, but it's either a LiveCD chroot or disable
fsck at boot.

OpenRC is also in portage, so I'm not clear on why you need the
bleeding edge source from git...

In fact, if you're not familiar with git, and you want to shift to
OpenRC (not a bad idea), I'd suggest following the Gentoo
documentation, as I found it quite good:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

Regards,
daid