> Roy Marples, who is a(the?) openrc developer, roped me into using git
> to do whatever git is supposed to do and now it's much worse.
> /dev/sd1 and 2 fail to mount as before PLUS many init services fail to
> start PLUS it no longer matters if the battery is being used or the ac
> cord: Chaos ensues, castles crumble, empires totter ...

If you don't know what git is, then probably it's a good idea to stay
far, far away from it.

It's just a repository for a number of project source code.  But
Gentoo is already building things from source and helping you to
configure that source code correctly based on your make.conf settings
and so on.

Unless you are a developer or trying to get around bugs in portage
where the ebuild isn't working, you should need to use git as a Gentoo
user.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with git, but I don't think
it's very good advice in this situation.  I can't see at all how it's
related to the problem except that someone who's not involved with
Gentoo wants to be sure it's not a Gentoo issue.  But there's no
reason to think it's a Gentoo-specific problem.

And, for the record, while people might be arguing with you, it's not
malicious.  We are only trying to help.

~daid