On Sunday 06 December 2009 14:48:36 Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Is there anything I can do to get sshd working from this kernel (and if
> so, what?), or is there something fundamentally wrong with the kernel
> configuration?

Not sure if this is a kernel problem.  Have you tried to set up a user account
and passwd then login as a plain user over ssh and then su to root?
Alternatively, check /etc/ssh/sshd_config to see if root logins are disabled
as a default.

While you're there you may also/first want to disable pam for ssh just in case
it interferes with the root login.
--
Regards,
Mick