Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Tuesday 08 December 2009 13:06:28 dhk wrote:
Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Monday 07 December 2009 20:10:31 Jarry wrote:
Hi,
I update my server quite frequently without any problem, but
today after running "emerge -uDN world" I got these messages:

-----

!!! existing preserved libs:
 >>> package: sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.9

  *  - /lib64/libuuid.so
  *      used by /bin/mount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
  *      used by /bin/umount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
  *      used by /sbin/blkid (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
  *      used by 16 other files
  *  - /lib64/libblkid.so
  *      used by /bin/mount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
  *      used by /bin/umount (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
  *      used by /sbin/blkid (sys-apps/util-linux-2.16.1)
  *      used by 8 other files
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries
-----

So I did run "emerge @preserved-rebuild", but at the end
of it I got the very same messages. How can I solve this?
An old version of e2fsprogs-libs provided some libs that the programs in
util- linux linked to. Portage realised after updating e2fsprogs-libs
that these libs are still in use so have not deleted them until
everything using them no longer does. Sometimes it gets itself confused.
Others report that running emerge @preserved-rebuild multiple times fixes
it, but I'm not so sure. It think it's more a case of the various ld*
utils don't do the right thing at the right time - just yesterday I had
b0rked @preserved-rebuild output fix itself after a reboot with no extra
emerging done.

Try this:

Run ldd on a few of the listed binaries using old libs, eyeball the
output and apply brainpower, followed by:

emerge -av1 util-linux
emerge -avC e2fsprogs-libs ; emerge -av1 e2fsprogs-libs

revdep-rebuild won't help you here, as the binaries are not broken. It
will only confirm internal consistency once preserved-rebuild appears to
have sorted itself out.
I have the same problem, but the "emerge -av1 util-linux" has blocking
issues with sys-fs/e2fsprogs.  Whenever I remove sys-fs stuff I usually
regret it.

You must remove the e2fsprogs* packages, emerge util-linux and re-emerge e2fsprogs*

This is safe as long as you don't log out, reboot, kill bash or do other weird and wonderful things that require a working e2fsprogs. Think of it this way:

delete your kernel image in /boot, do all kinds of stuff and put back a different kernel image named the same as the original. Nothing will go wrong *unless* you reboot|restart. Same with e2fprogs.

Is this the one where you need to fetch the files first, then un-emerge and emerge? I recall one being that way but not sure if it is this one.

Dale

:-) :-)