Am 11.12.2009 19:15, schrieb Joshua Murphy:

>> I am now trying to use your solution, I just have to find a way to make
>> it work with my pam_mount-based setup. Working on it ;-)
>
> Hmm... that'd certainly complicate it... since mine bypasses any auth
> of the user ;)

Played around with it, then decided to turn it off again.
Shut down the system yesterday.

Now I booted up again, expecting the same problems to persist and you
know what? gdm showed up OK for the first time since I went to ~x86.
Logged in and everything works OK as it did back then with stable x86.

I don't *know* what the problem was (or is?) but it works for now. The
only tiny issue is that the battery-applet of gnome doesn't use the
correct icon ... but that doesn't matter much to me now.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway,
Stefan