Mick wrote:
On 12/12/2009, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/12/2009 03:14 PM, Mick wrote:

I have had mouse, keyboard and synaptics along with evdev in my
INPUT_DEVICES and have emerged relative drivers.  I am now going to
remove them and see what gives.
I know nothing about the synaptics driver, so be careful about deleting
it.  Maybe rename it instead of deleting it?

Nope, unmerged it and deleted it from make.conf, then when I emerged
xf86-video-ati and evdev all other drivers (mouse, keyboard,
synaptics) were brought in as well.

I am not clear which /etc/hal/fdi/policy/* files I should have in
there ... any ideas?
That depends on what hardware you have -- a lot of the stuff that once
went into xorg.conf can be put in an fdi file now.

Here is an example:

Thanks for that.

I tried the startx trick.  I recall that this would launch my WM
(fluxbox), but now all I get is an X session with twm!  Has something
changed with /etc/rc.conf?  Where should I specify fluxbox?

No /var/log/xdm.log or other errors were there this time.  Trying to
start xdm and I keep getting the same old errors:

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server (:0.0)

and

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard.

I am running out of things to try now.  I don't have a recent enough
back up otherwise I would roll back this bad experience.

I haven't been following this thread a whole lot but this may help. Do a emerge -epv world and see if you see any changes there. It may be a USE flag change or it may be something else that you notice. It's just a pretend so it shouldn't take but a few minutes. May need to use 'less' or 'more' to scroll through the output easier.

I hope that shows something that will help.

Dale

:-) :-)