On 12/15/2009 08:17 PM, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
Am Dienstag 15 Dezember 2009 17:23:34 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
I read on various blogs (especially Gentoo-related :P) that "KDE 4.3.4
works just fine with Qt 4.6".

Well, it does. For me.

If you were about to upgrade, spare yourselves some headaches.  It does
not work "just fine."  On first sight, it does seem to work, but if you
look a bit better, it does not.  Symptoms of using KDE 4.3 with Qt 4.6:

    * Logging out of KDE takes half a minute.

Maybe, didn't measure the time.

You don't need to measure anything to tell the difference between 3 seconds and 30 seconds :P

    * Amarok takes ages to load.

Yes.

OK.

    * The text on (Oxygen) push buttons is not centered.

It is here.

Look closer.  But you would need Qt 4.5 to compare...

    * Fonts and shapes appear somewhat messed up (e.g., the tray clock).

Not here. Tray clock sometimes messed up with TQ 4.5, too.

*Never* happens here with 4.5. With 4.6, it's *always* wrong. Again, you need 4.5 to compare.

    * Global shortcuts (like CTRL+ESC to start "System Activity") stop
      working after a few hours of uptime.

Works fine here, even after days of uptime.

Usually happens when starting programs that register new shortcuts. Like Amarok or Mumble.

There might be more, but I didn't stay around long enough to find out.
I reverted to Qt 4.5.  Note that I *did* a full rebuild of all packages
that depend on Qt, including all of KDE of course ("equery depends" is
your friend).

Bottom line, KDE 4.3 *does* work with Qt 4.6, but it does *not* work
"just fine" (there's a big difference between "works" and "works fine").

And there's also a big difference between "works fine for me" and "works fine
for
you", it seems ;)

Probably.  But you confirmed some of the problems.

One last thing I forgot to mention in my OP: The X process was using 800MB of RAM after 5 hours of uptime. "Desktop Effects" are enabled, by the way.