Bruce Hill wrote:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:07:52PM -0500, Willie Wong wrote:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:35:20AM -0500, Penguin Lover Marcus Wanner squawked:
On 12/15/2009 7:19 AM, Pint??r Tibor wrote:
unmute?

To unmute sound at all levels, run mplayer and turn the volume up (mplayer is special that way, other programs don't have the same effect).
Mplayer? Seriously?
Why not use amixer (purely commandline) or alsamixer (quasi-gui)?
That's what they are intended for!

Cheers,

Or why not go ahead and do things The Alsa Way (TM) and use speaker-test -
command-line speaker test tone generator for ALSA:

Run "speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -t wav" in one terminal while you adjust
your levels in alsamixer in another terminal. Yes, use a tabbed terminal, such
as rxvt-unicode. ;)

OK. This is funny as heck. I ran this. I really need to reverse my speakers. Anybody remember the old cartoon where the guy had the shirt sleeves marked left and right? lol I guess I need to do that too.

For the record, I had to use alsamixer to unute mine too. It was the master that was muted which mplayer has nothing to do with, at least not on my system anyway.

Dale

:-) :-)