On 12/17/2009 08:42 PM, Denis wrote:
Hello folks,

Quick question.

My main HD is SATA and gets /dev/sda in fstab.  My CDROM, which is the
only device on the IDE bus, seems to be /dev/hda.  That's what
Audacious declared when it was looking for a CD to play.  I had CDROM
device forced to /dev/cdrom in Audacious, unwittingly, before and was
wondering why my CDs were not playing!  However, my fstab is still
"/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,user
   0 0" - so should I switch this to /dev/hda instead of /dev/cdrom?
If so, should some link be made to /dev/cdrom, if other programs may
be querying /dev/cdrom for the sake of Linux standard convention, or
is /dev/cdrom already a link, which was broken in my case?

Thank you,
Denis

You don't need an fstab entry at all. These days, when you insert a CD, it will get mounted automatically and appear in /media, just like USB storage devices.