Am 19.12.2009 09:08, schrieb Stroller:

>> Could anyone comment?
>
> Might it help if you said WHY you're unimpressed?

might be ;-)

It seems as if my system doesn't benefit that much:

With 8 gigs of RAM, suspend-to-ram, preload and only a handful of rather
lightweight binaries in regular use this system is already pretty fast
with hdds only.

I expected more WOW in terms of overall speed ...

OK, I have to admit that it boots way faster, yup.

Around under 25 secs from grub to gdm-login on ssd compared to 45-50
secs on hdds.

I just moved /var to ssd as well so that apart from the larger data-LVs
the whole gentoo-os runs from ssd now. Just to check ...

The difference might be more noticeable compared to slower hdds as in
notebooks (might give it a try in my thinkpad as well) and with apps
doing more i/o.

My daily apps are only a few:

thunderbird, opera, firefox, gnome-terminal, openoffice, acrobat reader,
skype, gwibber ... vmware-server ... and the usual utilities like gthumb
and stuff ... so there are no heavyweights afai see.

All of these get cached pretty soon (I think) so that the overall
experience is rather fast with the hdd-based-raid1-root-fs as well.

Maybe I just have to use it for a while and then boot back from hdds to
really get the picture :-)

Stefan