On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 14:10:46 -0600
Dale wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> > My mobo has two serial ports.
> >
> > As reported by hwinfo they are:
> >
> >   Serial Port 0: 0x3f8
> >   Serial Port 1: 0x2f8
> >
> > After booting the machine, dmesg indicates that tty0 is the console
> > with message:
> >
> >     console [tty0] enabled
> >
> > /dev names a multitude of tty devices,
> > i.e. /dev/tty0, /dev/tty1, ...
> >
> > How do I determine which devices correspond to the serial ports?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > David
> >

> Mine is /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 .  I put both devices so you will
> notice what is alpha and what is numeric.  Also note the S is capitol
> as well.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

My /dev/tty* didn't include any /dev/ttyS* entries.  Searching the web,
I learned that "MAKEDEV /dev/ttyS0" and "MAKEDEV /dev/ttyS1" will
create the missing entries and that "stty -F /dev/ttyS0 -a" will
provide configuration information for the port.

My little Serial.cpp class is now successfully writing to the port (as
proved by my son running Hyperterminal and receiving the sent
characters).  However, receiving characters isn't yet working.
Neither his hyperterminal nor my sender (with a loopback plug) is
receiving.