Alan E. Davis wrote:
Season's Greetings to one and all.

I would like to be able to generate a script or list of packages of some kind that would enable me to install Gentoo with an identical profile of installed packages. Since with Debian/Ubuntu one can run
   dpkg --get-selections > file
and
   dpkg --set-selections < file
(or some such), one imagines that the Gentoo gurus/magicians are able to do something similar.

It takes me months to get a new machine up to speed. In fact, I have just realized I don't have tcsh installed, something I hardly EVER use, but need to run a one of a kind script.
Can anyone make a suggestion?  Am I missing something?

Thanks

Alan Davis

You should be able to copy the world file over and it do pretty much the same thing. The biggest difference being maybe some change in hardware.
If you want a list of what is installed, try this:

equery list

That should list all packages installed but the majority of them are dependencies so you should not emerge them individually. Copying the world file I would think would be the best solution.

Dale

:-) :-)