On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:09:03 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> > Why not just tar up the underlying encfs partition? The data
> > is already encrypted, what's the point of decrypting it to encrypt it
> > again? That way you don't need to rely on any encryption software on
> > the remote computer.
>
> I wanted the option of decrypting on the remote if need be... that is
> if my home machine is not accessible for whatever reason.
>
> For example, if I wanted a forgotten password laying in a text file
> but encfs encrypted and on the remote.  When for one or another reason
> I cannot get it from the home machine.
>
> In your scenario, I'd need access to both home machine and remote at
> the same time to first get the blob of encrypted data off the remote
> and then to decrypt it on home.

Then use rsync instead of tar, then you can mount the remote filesystem
using sshfs and encfs to read individual files. It's a little slow as you
are layering two FUSE filesystems, but quicker than downloading a
complete tarball just to get at one file. I've used this method with an
online backup service and it works.

--
Neil Bothwick

3 things happen as you age: 1) Your memory goes; 2) uh..um