On 10 Jan 2010, at 18:09, Valmor de Almeida wrote:

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk > wrote:
Would love to comment on this. Is it possible you could resend this post in plain text format?

Stroller.

Below is my last post copied and pasted into gmail without the html hot links. I am doing this from within systemrescuecd using firefox and gmail. Don't know how to make it plain ascii otherwise. Hopefully just eliminating the html links will work. Stroller, is this what you are referring to?

Both messages contain html text formatting. If you look at your last message (the one to which I'm replying now, Message-ID: <128ccc221001101009v75f23dcey7d52967b16f7d...@mail.gmail.com >) in a text editor, for instance:

div class=3D"h5">
pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

The problem I have with this is that it seems difficult in my mail client to snip excessive quoting when I reply. If I switch to plain text, all the quoting marks / indenting disappears because (as per the snippet above) it's using an arbitrary html construction ("border- left: 1px solid; margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"> to represent that.

Just use plain text. It's the convention. It's simple, it works. If Gmail imposes this html upon you then I suggest you use IMAP to access your gmail account. You're using Gentoo, so there are plenty of clients which enable you to do this: mutt, pine, Thunderbird, Kmail, ... any of them can post in plain text.

I'm sorry to sound like a knob - I do admit to having a bee in my bonnet about this at the moment. I have a client who sends me 100kb emails with tiny unreadable text, a yellow background and multiple images (at least 7), just to convey a sentence or two of actual content. They pad maybe 150 bytes of text with 100,000 bytes of crap (the entire text of "Pride & Prejudice" is 700kb), and its effect is to make the content less readable; I can't bitch to them about their idiocy, because they pay me thousands a year.

I know this isn't your fault, but I had been quite busy for some hours and was perhaps tired when I clicked reply to your message last night. I clicked on the text so as to quote inline and a whole paragraph lit up as my mailer tried to deal with it; so I clicked on y mailer's plain text button and all the quote marks disappeared and I couldn't see who had said what. I just couldn't be arsed to deal with it. Just use plain text. It's the convention. It's simple, it works.

Stroller.