On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 04:09:07PM +0100, Xavier Parizet wrote:
> Le 10/01/2010 22:26, Matt Harrison a ??crit :
> > I say OT because it's my understanding of DKIM that lets me down here, not
> > Gentoo. I'm
> > just not sure who to ask or even if it could be something Gentoo related.
> >
> > I've recently updated my postfix home mail server to use amavis-new for
> > virus and spam
> > filtering rather than procmail/spamassassin.
> >
> > It seems to be working well and I've also enabled some other goodies like
> > DKIM signing
> > and verification. I haven't confirmed signing is working yet, so maybe a
> > side effect
> > of this email is that someone can confirm this for me ;)
>
> Your mail is not DKIM-Signed, check your setup.

Ok, thanks for checking, it appears that outbound messages weren't being passed
amavis, I think I've rectified that now.

I can see the message being scanned in the logs, but not necessarily being
signed
though. Inbound messages generate warnings such as:

dkim: not signing, no applicable private key for domains ruby-forum.com.....

but my outbound messages just scan clean. I've tried without sender maps and
with
limiting them to my domain.

> > The main query I have is that a lot of the mail I get, in this case from
> > various
> > mailing lists, appears to failed DKIM verification.
> >
> > For example, several of the posters on this list are DKIM signing their
> > mail either as
> > part of gmail policy (or another big provider) or personal intent.
> > Something in the
> > region of 50% of signed mail on this list contains headers such as:

> >         (fail, message has been altered) header.from=xxx...@gmail.com
> >
> > Whereas the rest looks like this:

> > Now I find it unreasonable to assume that 50% of the mail I receive is
> > being actively
> > tampered with, so it must be something getting twisted out of shape. All
> > I'm trying to
> > discover is whether it's something at my end that I need to fiddle with. I
> > followed a
> > few different guides to piece my setup together so it's quite possible I've
> > overlooked
> > or misconfigured something.
>
> 90% chance the emails failing DKIM verification had their email subject
> modified
> to add "[gentoo-user]" in it by the mlmmj program that manage the
> mailing-list,
> which mainly concerns topic starts (ie first mails about one topic).

That would make a lot of sense, I'm not sure if it's just the first messages
that are
doing it, but I have a feeling that others in a thread are also failing.

Thanks for your input Xavier, I think I need to get over to the amavis or
postfix
guys, like Stroller said, to really figure out what is happening.