Ok, this question comes about because I noticed that I manually have to set $mydomain in Postfix. I'm about to set up Samba, too, and thinking that I might have to manually set the domain name in that, too, I thought to investigate this. Surely Postfix should get its hostname & domainname from the system itself, right?

$ hostname
hex
$ dnsdomainname
stroller.uk.eu.org
$ domainname
(none)
$ domainname -v
getdomainname()=`(none)'
(none)
$

This mention of getdomainname agrees with the comments in Postfix's main.cf:

# The myhostname parameter specifies the internet hostname of this
# mail system. The default is to use the fully-qualified domain name
# from gethostname(). $myhostname is used as a default value for many
# other configuration parameters.

`man domainname` tells me that `domainname` should in particular "show or set the system's NIS/YP domain name".

Can anyone explain the significance of this, please?

/etc/conf.d/net.example suggests that "it's rare that you would need to" set a NIS domainname, "but you can anyway", and the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook [1] says "if you don't know what [a NIS domain] is, then you don't have one".

I guess that a typical desktop system might use ssmtp and not need either postfix or a NIS domainname, however I'm still confused. I guess the best question I can ask is why Postfix might choose to use this apparently-less-common config to set its hostname? I really feel like I must be missing out. It's not a massive hardship to set $mydomain manually in Postfix on several boxes, it just seems like I ideally shouldn't have to. Is there anyone who can help clarify for me?

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions,

Stroller.

[1]
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=8#doc_chap2