In the course of a full reinstall I've run into several packages that
appear not to be findable... watching emerge race all over the glob
looking for certain packages...there seems to be some problem with
what portage is looking for and pushing those packages out to repos.

I've already forgotten the other 5 or so packages but the current one
holding up emerge is eject-2.1.5.tar.gz.

It appears to be standing in the way of installing a number of other X
related packages.

Is there a current problem with packages being available?

If so then how can I remove it as a depandency?  It seem unlikely that
eject would really prevent X from running but there appears no easy
way to avoid it.