I hadn't done a full reinstall for a good while, long enough that I
missed out on whateve was said about the change over from using
/etc/X11/xorg.conf to control the X display to whatever does it now.

So my first question is what does do it?.. I have a nice desktop but
no /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

However under the new setup, I'm missing one major thing.  It has to
do with resolution of the desktop.  Using Xfce4, I see no way to
adjust the res above 1024x798 using the applet provided for that
purpuse, when I'm used to a much more massive size. 2048x1536 that I
used to get by puting this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        Virtual     2048 1536
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

I used something this size for years and really do miss it.  I like to
be able to flop around on the massive deskop.

It has a second unintended benefit too... it keeps most people off my
computer since slithering around on something that size can be very
disconcerting to the uninitiated.  I've learned that grand kids really
don't like it... hehe.

So, where would I make such a setting in the new arrangement?... I
suspect I could force a return to xorg.conf... but would sooner
understand how to utilize the new proceedure.