On Sunday 24 January 2010 21:38:23 Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since I am a while out of the game of doing ipsec with Linux:
> What's the way to go? Strongswan/Openswan or ipsec-tools for kame/racoon.

Openswan is simpler to configure, although I have not tried it yet.  I have
however tried to establish a racoon based VPN connection to a router and after
I wasted an awful lot of time I gave up.  :-(

I think my problem was that I hadn't set up sysctl (amidst other things) to
forward connections correctly.  Either way I found the whole IPSec/Racoon
experience ridiculously complicated compared to say, ssh.

> Emerge -p gave me some ~ for ipsec-tools while openswan goes without.

IPSec-tools will fail to compile lately.  To overcome this you need to emerge
~ARCH linux-headers and then emerge ipsec-tools (there's a bug about it).  You
can downgrade linux-headers after you emerge ipsec-tools.

> Any input welcome. I need this for a road warrior setup.

Well, if you need VPN, you need VPN.  Personally, I would try to setup a ssh
tunnel (using the -D flag) or another SOCKS5 proxy of some sort at home for
this purpose and play with mtu sizes to get it to work without fragmentation.
If you use ssh I would recommend using public keys and remove passwd
authentication.

However, if you succeed in setting up a VPN connection for road warrior usage
please write a HOWTO!  I will happily try it to see if it will work with my
router.  ;-)
--
Regards,
Mick