On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM, dhk <dhk...@optonline.net> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> Unless your atimes were wildly out I think that it should at some point
>>> settle
>>> down and stop complaining.  Have you rebooted since?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Mick
>>>
>> Yes, I've rebooted a number of time, but I've since set everything
>> back to settings that don't complain.
>>
>> I was off by 8 hours I think - Pacific time vs what - GMT? Maybe it
>> would be OK after 8 hours? that would be OK but I'm nervous about
>> using the machine in the meantime because it's huge numbers of
>> messages and every file edit is a complaint.
>>
>> Maybe set it up right this afternoon, leave the machine alone, and
>> then wait until tomorrow morning?
>>
>> Thanks Mick!
>>
>> - Mark
>>

> This happened to me a while back and it was my fault too.  I was doing
> the setup from memory and I made a link to /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
> instead of copying it to /etc/localtime.  I found my bios time was not
> right, I forget why, but I would set the time in the bios and after
> rebooting it was wrong again.  I think I was sync'ing the time with
> hwclock and since I was only six hours off it eventually cleared up
> overnight.  Also check /etc/conf.d/clock and make sure you don't have
> anything unusual in there.
>
> dhk

Thanks to everyone that answered. I think I'll take the evening off
and see if it's fixed itself tomorrow morning. If not I'll give Alan's
idea a try and if none of that works just build the machine again but
this time follow instructions! ;-)

I've saved most of the stuff I need - stage3/portage-snapshot,
contents of etc/world and a few other things. There's nothing on the
system as I cannot make X run correctly yet so it's not a big deal to
go about a clean install.

Again, thanks!

- Mark