On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've only ever used my laptop's VGA-out into 4:3 screens and it always
> works great.  I've now plugged it into a 16:9 screen for the first
> time, and it still displays 4:3 on that screen and on my laptop.  Is
> there a way for it to detect the proper aspect ratio?  Maybe it
> depends on the monitor's EDID?  If not, can I manually change the
> aspect ratio?
>
> - Grant

Not sure about how well it will work automatically, but try running

xrandr

and reading the output. It should tell you what monitors you have
hooked up and what resolutions and scan frequencies they support. I
did this and then put the ones I wanted into my xorg.conf file and was
good to go.

Hope this helps,
Mark