On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 20:55:00 +0100, Shoka <sh...@gmx.ch> wrote:

On 07.02.2010 20:29, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:21:20 +0100, Shoka <sh...@gmx.ch> wrote:

Hi folks,

I got stuck when trying to get the Intel Wireless 5300 device running. I'm using the 2.6.31.gentoo-r6 kernel source and have tried several configuration options for getting this driver to work.

The gentoo os is running on a lenovo x200 notebook.

It seems that the iwlagn module doesn't get compiled at all. When trying to run "modprobe iwlagn" I get the message "Module iwlagn not found". The device is properly recognized when using the Gentoo Live CD. There it uses the iwlagn module. So it should be possible to configure the kernel to do the same.

I have found this forum post about configuring the 5300 device, but this guy used the 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 kernel source and it looks like the kernel config options in menuconfig have changed. I cannot find a kernel config option called "Intel Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN (iwlagn)".

Link to forum post: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-792424-highlight-5300.html

I'm a gentoo newbie and therefore would be very glad, if anyone could give me an advice in the right direction.

Thank you very much!

Best regards
Shoka

You should be able to find the iwlagn in Device Drivers -> Network Device Support -> Wireless Lan

There you need to set "Intel Wireless Wifi" and then the option should appear :-)

Hi Zeerak,

When calling "make menuconfig", then enter section "Device Drivers" --> "Network Device Support" --> "Wireless LAN", all I can see are these options:

[ ] Wireless LAN (pre-802.11)
[ ] Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11)
< > Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
< > Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and 2915ABG Network Connection

I have selected both Intel PRO/Wireless sections and the only sup-options that appeared were:

[ ] promiscuous mode
[ ] full debugging output

But there was nothing written about "Intel Wireless Wifi" or iwlagn stuff....
Even if I checked all the options nothing more appeared.

Shoka

What does searching for iwlwifi in the kernel yield? (kernel search is prompted by /)

--
Zeerak