On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:29 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/14/2009 01:08 PM, GerhardosG wrote:
>> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 61: xterm: command not found
>> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 62: exec: xterm: not found
>
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> That last line is the problem this time, very different from your
> /usr/bin/xterm on your machine?  If not, install x11-terms/xterm-250
> and try startx again.

I bought a new hard drive and was just installing Gentoo from scratch
for the first time in 5 years, and I ran into this problem.

I'm guessing here, but I think my problem was with the current version
of "The X Server Configuration HOWTO", the document suggests
installing the xorg-xserver package instead of the xorg-x11
meta-package because:

"Note: You could install the xorg-x11 metapackage instead of the more
lightweight xorg-server. Functionally, xorg-x11 and xorg-server are
the same. However, xorg-x11 brings in many more packages that you
probably don't need, such as a huge assortment of fonts in many
different languages. They're not necessary for a working desktop."

However, it also does not install twm, xclock, or xterm so I was
unable to verify that X was actually working until I installed xterm
as suggested in this thread.

Regards,

ds