On Wednesday 10 February 2010 17:33:46 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:22 AM, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:39:14PM -0500, dhk wrote:
> >> Do you have xfce-base/xfdesktop installed?  Try installing it.
> >
> > No, as it happens, I didn't.  When I tried
> >
> >    # emerge xfdesktop
> >
> > , the compiler threw a segfault.  It does this reproducibly.  Bother!
> >
> > I don't have any fancy C\(XX\)?FLAGS set, and am using a standard
> > athlon-64 setup.
> >
> > Presumably, rebuilding the compiler isn't going to help much, since the
> > athlon-64 stage-3 would have had the latest and greatest compiler anyhow.
> >
> > I think, at this stage, I'll just try emerging a different window
> > manager.  Maybe blackbox.
>
> Is it just me? On a new install I always still to an emerge -e @world
> once I get to a working text based boot and I've done any modification
> to make.conf as I don't really know how the compiler or tool set was
> built. Just paranoid.

That's worthwhile, it goes real quick once gcc and glibc are built. Plus
(until recently at least) the published stages always had an out of date gcc
on them.

> I used to do it twice before I started installing apps or desktops but
> I've cut back. :-)

Twice is pointless :-)

gcc rebuilds itself twice to ensure that the binary is built with the same
version as the result, and verifies that the last two are bit-wise identical.
Then building the toolchain, then building the rest of world gives you exactly
what you hope to get from doing it twice.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com