On 02/11/2010 03:03 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
And don't start with sockets. That will result in a nightmare. dbus is a clean
solution to a huge problem. Apps have to talk to each other. The only way to
keep it sane is a standardized IPC daemon like dbus.

Aha!  This is a question that has confused me since I was still in diapers.
(And may be in them again soon enough :)

Could you (or anyone else here) give us a really dumbed-down summary
of why a dev would want/need to use a socket, versus a pipe, versus
a signal, versus dbus, versus, well, whatever else is out there?

Many thanks.