On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 7:53 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/23/2010 06:23 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>    I'm looking around in vain for info on why some apps (Open Office
>> apps for instance) see printers while other apps (Evolution and
>> Firefox for instance) do not. Apps that don't work seem to offer print
>> to file and print to LPR. On the other hand Open Office provides only
>> the obscenely ugly CUPS printer name
>> "HP_LaserJet_M1522nf_MFP_192.168.1.5".
>
> Ugly?  I think it's quite fetching, really.  Are you sure you're a real
> computer nerd?
>
> I have an HP LaserJet 3015 that works with everything in my gnome DE,
> but IIRC I struggled until I discovered the net-print/hplip package,
> which is the opensource driver supplied by HP.  It does everything
> including faxing, printing, and high-res color scanning all from my
> HP multi-function printer.
>
> Does your dad's machine have that package installed and configured?

Yes, version 3.9.12-r1 is installed but I'm not totally sure I'm using
the driver it supplied.

gandalf ~ # emerge -pv hplip

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-print/hplip-3.9.12-r1  USE="gtk hpcups libnotify
qt4 -doc -fax -hpijs -minimal -new-hpcups -parport -policykit -scanner
-snmp -static-ppds -udev-acl" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

 * IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

gandalf ~ #

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.11
# Written by cupsd on 2010-02-23 11:32
<Printer HP_LaserJet_M1522nf_MFP_192.168.1.5>
Info HP LaserJet M1522nf MFP
Location Local Printer
DeviceURI socket://192.168.1.5
State Idle
StateTime 1266953458
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

Again, I figured it was working because Open Office finds it without
any trouble, but his Gnome account doesn't. (Nor does mine actually -
I cannot print from Firefox in my account either.)

Thanks,
Mark