On 22 February 2010 16:49, daid kahl <daid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 February 2010 05:34, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> I'm currently rsyncing an OS (new gentoo install) from one vmware disk
>> to a newly created one.
>
> you could dd it too, and then mount the new system and remove stuff in
> /proc and /dev you don't want.
>
> This could avoid any problems of your rsync options.  Then in a chroot
> reinstall grub on the partition.
>
> I never tried this, but to my mind it should work, and it's faster than rsync.
>
> ~daid

Sorry.  I should note: It *can* be faster than rsync.  If they disk
has a ton of white space, then it could very well be much slower.  But
say for a drive that is mostly at capacity, then dd should easily be a
few times faster.

As a side note, I tried dd piped through ssh and my router (with
firewall) was resetting the connection after around 4GB, and I don't
know of anyway to resume a dd.  There should be ways to ping the ssh
to keep the connection alive, but I never tried that.

But if you really want an exact copy of a system, I think dd could be
the way to go.  You can always rsync at the end to confirm.

~daid