On 1 March 2010 15:04, Peter Ruskin <peter.rus...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 28 February 2010 23:51:21 Mick wrote:
>> I have now succeeded at achieving what I wanted:  to use the
>> Windows 7 boot manager (bootmgr.exe) which is the successor to
>> NTLDR to chainload GRUB from it and so leave the Windows
>> installation intact (at least until the warranty expires) ;-)
[snip ...]

> Thanks for the howto, Mick.  I followed it on my Windows Vista Home
> Premium 64; got "The operation completed successfully" all the way
> through, but on reboot I don't get a boot menu.

Can you please post your partition table (cfdisk, or parted will do),
let me know which is your Gentoo /boot partition if it is not obvious
and the drive letters as understood by Vista when it is running.  A
screenshot of gparted will help (email off list to keep the bandwidth
down) because it also shows the Labels.

> This doesn't matter much to me at the moment, as I use Acronis OSS
> Selector for boot manager, but this doesn't work on Windows 7, so
> my free update to Windows 7 is gathering dust.

As long as the upgrade to Windows 7 does not mess up the MS boot
partition then achieving this in Vista will be a good dry run for when
you install Windows 7.  However, I am not sure that you will be able
to achieve this test run while Acronis is managing your boot session.
My method implies that you use the native MSWindows boot manager.

> Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.2_rc63                  kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r5
> AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor         gcc(Gentoo: 4.4.3)
> KDE: 3.5.10                                     Qt: 3.3.8b

Regards,
Mick