Neil Bothwick writes:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:35:42 +0100, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > > - best filesystem for portage? something compressed or with small
> > > cluster size maybe.
> >
> > I think reiserfs with the notail option is recommended.
>
> The data I've seen indicates that ext2 is fastest, that's what I use.

I thought the small files of the portage tree especially profit from the
notail option in reiserfs? Did you change the block size?

> There's no need for journalling on the portage tree, it's small enough
> to fsck quickly and if it does get broken, reformat and resync.

Would the journaling overhead be noticeable?
I also had used ext2 for my portage tree first, then I read somewhere that
reiserfs would be the best. BTW, I have distfiles and pkgdir somewhere
else, if not the fsck would not be so fast.

Just for fun, I just copied my $PORTDIR into my tmpfs, emerge -DpN @system
@world takes between 81 and 53 seconds. With reiserfs, I get 130 seconds
first ($PORTDIR was unmounted first and mounted again to clear the
caches), and 57 seconds in the second attempt.

I had expected that tmpfs would be even faster. I think I just keep it the
way it is now.

        Wonko