On 2 Mar 2010, at 17:07, walt wrote:

On 03/02/2010 04:23 AM, Arttu V. wrote:
On 3/2/10, walt<w41...@gmail.com>  wrote:
This article was a big surprise to me. Am I the last one to hear about this
stuff?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10461670-16.html?part=rss&amp;subj=news&amp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20

If you're expecting a discussion then perhaps you'd care to narrow it
down a bit: which part of the article are we expected to feel
surprised about?

I was surprised that three major social networking sites have dumped
MySQL (but now the article says only two sites).  I've also not heard
of the "NoSQL" movement before, and I'm curious to know what's motivating
it.  Maybe nobody trusts Oracle?

I read the other day that Facebook have NOT dropped MySQL - they remain committed to it - but that they use NoSQL technologies for some of their queries as it is more scalable. This seems to concur with an update to the article, which not everyone may have seen.

Unless they are using closed-source modules to MySQL (do these exist?) the Oracle situation probably would not worry such large companies are Facebook & Twatter. They are big enough to support OSS MySQL on their own.

Stroller.