On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 05:08:06PM +0000, David W Noon wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:00:02 +0100, Willie Wong wrote about Re:
> [gentoo-user] what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?:
>
> >On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:15:08PM +0000, David W Noon wrote:
> >> You run your emerge --sync jobs by hand?!!!
> >
> >Why is that surprising?
>
> Because emerge jobs produce copious amounts of output that is difficult
> to read as it scrolls past.  I much prefer the cron daemon or at daemon
> to send me the output as email, so I can scroll backwards and forwards
> through it at my leisure.

What output do you actually read from syncs? For builds, is it really
wise to do all updates unattended? Also, for builds, there is such a
thing as elogs (which allows you to save all messages to
/var/log/portage for ease of reading at your leisure. You can even
configure it to select what types of messages are saved): I neither
need nor want to scroll through pages and pages of mostly useless
output only to find the ewarn messages.

I'm sure you have a good reason for wanting to do things your way, and
I do not claim mine is better. I am just surprised that you sounded
surprised to find out some people don't do things your way.

> >My laptop does not have an always-on internet
> >connection, nevermind it sits silently and off for most of the day. I
> >"sync by hand" when I have time, roughly twice each week.
>
> Well, when your laptop is powered off the cron daemon won't run the
> emerge jobs, so that's really a non-issue.

Actually, the cron daemon won't run because I don't have a cron daemon
installed on the laptop. And I don't have a cron daemon because having
periodic jobs only make sense if the computer is likely to be on when
cron is triggered.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu
         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton