Joshua,

does the user you are connecting with have permission to select from the
view geography_columns (introduced when support for geographies was added)?

Can you "select * from geography_columns" as this user?

For GeoServer to recognise geometry columns in views, they must be
registered in geometry_columns. I suspect a similar rule may apply to
geography columns.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--