Hey Jonathan,

So I did what I think you are attempting to do just a few months ago on a
project I'm on. We have 1m MrSid imagery served up by WMS and DTED data
served by WCS and with that create a world wide 3D environment. I noticed
you stated you were going to use a color map through WMS and we had done
that, but found out that it was painfully slow with the color map applied.
We use XNA for our 3D rendering but are considering a move to OpenGL or
WebGL in the next year or so. What you want to do can definitely be done
but it takes some time. I can share some C# code with you for parts if you
are more specific in which piece of the puzzle you are working on.

Ben