Maybe you have to set a valid default value in the sql view parameters
table below the view (one existing column) to allow geoserver to validate
the query and check the type of the attribute.

For instance, if your table has the following columns:

gid,value1, value2, the_geom

try to set value1 as default value and try to save.
Check the geoserver log if you have errors to see the generated query and
why it fails.