OGC has published a BP for serving time/elevation dependent data
(https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=56394)

I am working on a project that is required to use GeoServer and also conform
to this BP which, according to the document, operates within the confines of
the WMS 1.3.0 spec.

We have some custom coverage plugins to handle our coverage needs (and are
looking at moving to gs-netcdf for some of our data), but one problem we are
running into is the assumption throughout the GeoServer WMS and possibly the
WCS that elevation values are always numeric.  This makes it difficult for
'computed surface' elevations (i.e 'tropopause','surface') to even make it
to a coverage plugin where it can be handled appropriately.  The WMS 1.3.0
spec does not appear to explicitly limit the elevation dimension to numeric
values, and the publication of the BP linked above further indicates that
non-numeric values should be possible (see section 6.4.2 in the document
linked above).

So my question is:

What is the position of the core GeoServer developers on non-numeric
elevations and the best practice linked above (is this even on your radar?)
Would there be interest in accepting patches/pull requests to allow non
numeric elevations or are you guys directly opposed to this?

Thanks in advance.