Gavin,

you should not have to download anything, just move the postgresql jar included with GeoServer (in your case for 2.11.2 it is WEB-INF/lib/postgresql-9.4.1211.jar) to your Tomcat lib directory. GeoServer does not use the postgis jar from postgis.org. Leave everything else. The goal is to ensure that there is only one postgresql jar on your classpath. Tomcat does not need anything else because it only manages the connection and does not need to understand the content. Everything else stays in the GeoServer WEB-INF/lib.
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/tutorials/tomcat-jndi/tomcat-jndi.html#configuring-a-postgresql-connection-pool

The latest version of the postgresql driver should also work; if you want to use it in your Tomcat lib, just remove WEB-INF/lib/postgresql-9.4.1211.jar.

Kind regards,
Ben.