Bart,

I see two possibilities:

(1) I suspect that GeoServer is a bit more forgiving with the hy-p namespace prefix in requests when it is the default for the workspace. The gn namespace prefix has no special status. It could be bound to any namespace.

(2) hy-p:geographicalName/gn:GeographicalName does not refer to a thing with a simple value; it is type information. I do not know if GetPropertyValue supports complex values. Have you tried referencing something like hy-p:geographicalName/gn:GeographicalName/gn:language?

Kind regards,
Ben.