First off, I like the idea.

I though I'd provide a heads up here ... a couple months back I was doing some Jump developement, where features are serializable. During this time, the client did some data processing and saved the serialized results ... and thus came the issue: we could not read the pevious build ...

Now I will admit it was some legacy code we were working with, and the serial guid/version had not been set, but I was hoping people would think about this issue.

Some solutions which some to mind, include versioning the serializable pieces independantly (so take the feature stuff into it's own jar ... not always versioning the jar when GT versions). Alternatively, I believe serialization has some methods of forcing versions to work across compilations (without writing a custom serialization routine) ... but I havn't done this so not sure how well it works.

Cheers David

On 4/28/06, Richard Gould <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Jody Garnett wrote:
> Andrea Aime wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> we are working on an application where we need to edit
>> FeatureType/AttributeType
>> stuff in a rich client, and the send them back to the server for update.
>> The problem is, the communication protocol uses serialization, and these
>> classes are not serializable.
>>
>> Can we mark them as Serializable or you do see a good reason not to?
>> Please vote :-)
>
> +1  (although perhaps edit is too strong a word as they are immutable).
>
>> PS: btw, also DefaultFeature and the like are not serializable. Too
>> bad in my
>> opinion, they should be. What about changing these too?
>
> That would be a nice experiment, but you would need to ensure that any
> and all data stored in the
> feature is serializable.  As a compromise please talk to justing about
> making SimpleFeature serialiable (as it is
> already restricted to simple types).

+1