Hi Jim,
it terms of useful, it does, but I'd like to avoid depending at runtime on
a library that has dead dependencies, as discussed above... we
already have many, and believe we should try to put some effort in to
reduce them instead of growing them.
Pity because I like jawyway json-path for testing... I commented here, but
I'm not really expecting an answer:
https://github.com/json-path/JsonPath/issues/513

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 3:59 PM Jim Hughes <jn...@ccri.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> The JSON is represented as a String.
>>>
>>> Now, I'd like to add a filter function to parse and extract specific
>>> properties out of the JSON string... which
>>> requires new dependencies. And boy we have a mess of them in the
>>> classpath already:
>>>
>>>    - json-simple, used in geojson and mbstyles, but dead, last release
>>>    is 2012
>>>    - json-lib, used in GeoServer for geojson generation, and also dead,
>>>    last release is 2010
>>>    - jackson, used by Spring and directly by some GeoServer community
>>>    modules, with recent releases and latest commits of only a few days ago
>>>

>>> There are basically two languages to extract stuff from JSON, json-path
>>> and json-pointer.
>>> json-path is the one I would have preferred as it's more powerful, but
>>> its situation library wise is not
>>> exactly in great shape, the jayway implementation uses yet another json
>>> java library, json-smart2, also dead.
>>> There are a couple of other options for json-path, either dead or with a
>>> bizzarre "do not evil" licence.
>>>
>>> json-pointer is instead supported directly by jackson-core, which is
>>> well alive, and comes with a 300kb jar
>>> that has no external dependencies. This seems the best bet, just one
>>> hesitation... should I add a jackson-core
>>> to gt-main? On one side, it seems a large-ish dependency for just a
>>> function, on the other side having a single
>>> class new module also seems a bit overkill.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Andrea
>>>
>>> == GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit
>>> http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf
>>> Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa
>>> (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549
>>> http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
>>> ------------------------------------------------------- *Con
>>> riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE
>>> 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si
>>> precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo
>>> contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è
>>> riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il
>>> messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra
>>> operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.
>>> This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
>>> addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
>>> otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by
>>> European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this
>>> e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended
>>> recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please
>>> notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.*

Regards, Andrea Aime == GeoServer Professional Services from the experts!