On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Rahkonen Jukka
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have thousands of aerial photos archived in JPEG2000 format, Kakudu
> license and great interest in seeing the WMS performance obtained directly
> from jpeg2000.  Until now we have not been satisfied with the speed, so we
> need to expand the archived images back to tiff format, create overviews
> etc. It feels lunatic because we do know that Kakadu and a few other
> commercial JPEG2000 utilities can handle our images extremely fast.

Kakadu *can* be fast, depends on how you compress your jp2 images :-)
(but you know that already :-) ).
My experience with GDAL Kakadu driver is that, it is fast but not as
fast as I would expect it to be. Daniele and I have developed  an
imageio plugin which directly uses kakadu JNI withouth using gdal.
Unfortunately it was not meant to be used, however we are playing
right now with jp2 boxes to expose the geojp2 box in order to parse
georeferencing in it. Unfortunately we are not targeting gmlinjpeg2000
in the immediate future.
However help and/or additional funding would change this :-).

> Unfortunately it is impossible for me to test ImageIO-EXT GDAL even if the
> instructions are fine.  I am mostly tied to use ready made binaries.

We can't ship binaries for ECW and/or kakadu but we can help people
make the binaries. Whoever interested in testing ecw and/or kakadu can
contact us directly.

> But if
> you are going to make speed tests at your house some day I could send you
> the Kakadu creation options we are using for JPEG2000 compression.

That would be nice. Part of the work on the gdal kakadu driver was to
allow more creation options!
Most of this were not available on gdal 1.4.4 but it seems that on
gdal 1.5 they have been ported. We will move to it after release 1.0
for imageio-ext and at that point we'll check the differences.
If you are interested we have a nice internal document describing all
the options available.

> yield lossless JPEG2000 images which are rather well optimized for
> interactive browsing both locally and remotely through JPIP server.

We cannot do any JPIP OS due to NDA that we signed :-|

Ciao,
Simone.

> Regards,
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-