Sujet :         OrbisGIS : contributions to Geotools
Date :  Mon, 30 May 2022 14:35:32 +0200
De :    Erwan Bocher (UBS) <erwan.boc...@univ-ubs.fr>
Pour :  geotools-gt2-users@lists.sourceforge.net

Dear GT community,

This is a long message to explain the OrbisGIS roadmap for the next 8 months.

OrbisGIS is using for many years Geotools and especially H2GIS DB with GeoServer or ImageIO-ext to support raster data.

Today the OrbiGIS team wants to get closer to the Geotools community by contributing to fix bugs, propose new features, doing tests, use cases…

So we want to share with the community the developments we have planned. Any comments, remarks are welcome.

*Graphical user interface*

- develop a map viewer component for DBeaver (as Udig does on top of Eclipse RCP). We plan to use GT to renderer geospatial data from DBeaver drivers and integrates some OrbisGIS UI previously developed to build thematic maps. (see https://orbisgis.readthedocs.io/en/latest/users/cartography.html)

Note : Once the map viewer is implemented we would like to integrate the map composer

https://github.com/orbisgis/orbisgis-official-plugins/tree/master/mapComposer

*H2GIS*

- Improve the H2GIS geotools driver to be compliant with the GT unit tests. This work is in progress : https://github.com/orbisgis/h2gis-geotools/pull/39. A next step will be to propose it as a module for GT.

- Complete the integration of the raster datatype in H2/H2GIS based on ImageIO-Ext and JAI-EXT (see https://github.com/h2database/h2database/pull/945).

*Symbology/ Styling/ Map/ Standard*

- Extend some graphical elements in the GT style model to support : DoMapFill, DensityFill, HatchedFill, *WobbleStroke...*

We want to port some code from https://github.com/orbisgis/orbismap and test if geocss could match all the cartographic needs and could be a candidate as OGC spec in line with SymCore (https://docs.ogc.org/is/18-067r3/18-067r3.html).

- Add some utilities to GT to build map decorations (north, scale, legend (with complex expressions)).

and voila.

There is a bit of work to do for the next 8 months and we would be delighted if it could serve the GeoTools community.

Best regards

Erwan