The directory is mostly used to unpack EPSG database;
https://docs.geotools.org/stable/userguide/library/referencing/hsql.html

Reading the javadocs
https://docs.geotools.org/stable/javadocs/org/geotools/referencing/factory/epsg/hsql/ThreadedHsqlEpsgFactory.html

provides these instructions:

> If the EPSG database should be created in a different directory (or
already exists in that directory), it may be specified as a system property
<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/lang/System.html?is-external=true#getProperty-java.lang.String->
 nammed "EPSG-HSQL.directory"
<https://docs.geotools.org/stable/javadocs/org/geotools/referencing/factory/epsg/hsql/ThreadedHsqlEpsgFactory.html#DIRECTORY_KEY>
.

Give it a try and let us know if works? If you are very kind you could
update the documentation (clicking edit in github is enough to update docs).
--
Jody Garnett