Hi,
I've been using Java 8 and GeoTools 20.2. Now I would like to upgrade both Java
and GeoTools.
As I understand from Ian Turton GeoTools prefers Java 11 at most. I updated
from 8 to 11.
What do I have to do to be able to build the application?

I think I will upgrade GeoTools step by step, starting with GeoTools version
21.5.
I've read info about 21.5 in
https://docs.geotools.org/stable/userguide/welcome/upgrade.html , but I don't
understand excactly what I have to do.

I changed the version in the pom-file:
<properties>
    <geotools.version>21.5</geotools.version>
    <!--geotools.version>20.2</geotools.version-->
</properties>
<repository>
      <id>osgeo</id>
      <name>OSGeo Release Repository</name>
      <url>https://repo.osgeo.org/repository/release/</url>
</repository>

When the program is built I get the following errors:
1) GeoTools cannot be resolved ClassifiedStyleCreator.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 54 Java
Problem
Line 54 in the java file:
Set<Function> funcs =
CommonFactoryFinder.getFunctions(GeoTools.getDefaultHints());

2) GML cannot be resolved to a type GMLFeatureReader.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/data line 150 Java
Problem
Line 150 in the Java file:
GML gml = new GML(Version.GML3);

3) Hints cannot be resolved to a type MapView.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 830
Java Problem
Line 830 in the Java file:
Hints hints = new Hints();

4) MapBoundsEvent cannot be resolved to a type AbstractMapPane.java

/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 855
Java Problem
Line 855 in the Java file:
public void mapBoundsChanged(MapBoundsEvent event) {

5) MapLayerEvent cannot be resolved to a variable AbstractMapPane.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 821
Java Problem
Line 821 in the Java file:
public void layerMoved(MapLayerListEvent event) {

6) Parser cannot be resolved to a type ReadKML.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/data line 143
              Java Problem
Line 143 in the Java file:
Parser parser = new Parser(new KMLConfiguration());

7) PullParser cannot be resolved to a type    GMLFeatureReader.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/data line 54 Java
Problem
Line 54 in the Java file:
PullParser parser;

8) SLDParser cannot be resolved to a type LayerPopUpMenu.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 297
Java Problem
Line 297 in the Java file:
SLDParser parser = new SLDParser(CommonFactoryFinder.getStyleFactory(), sldf);

9) SLDTransformer cannot be resolved to a type JLegendPanel.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 316
Java Problem
Line 316 in the Java file:
SLDTransformer tx = new SLDTransformer();

10) The hierarchy of the type JMapPane is inconsistent JMapPane.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 30 Java
Problem
Line 30 in the Java file:
public class JMapPane extends AbstractMapPane {

11) The method addMapBoundsListener(MapBoundsListener) in the type MapContent
is not applicable for the arguments (AbstractMapPane) AbstractMapPane.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 523
Java Problem
Line 523 in the Java file:
mapContent.addMapBoundsListener(this);

12) The method addMapLayerListListener(MapLayerListListener) in the type
MapContent is not applicable for the arguments (AbstractMapPane)
AbstractMapPane.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 522
Java Problem
Line 522 in the Java file:
mapContent.addMapLayerListListener(this);

13) Version cannot be resolved to a variable GMLFeatureReader.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/data line 150 Java
Problem
Line 150 in the Java file:
GML gml = new GML(Version.GML3);

14) The import org.geotools.factory.GeoTools cannot be resolved
ClassifiedStyleCreator.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 13 Java
Problem
Line 13 in the Java file:
import org.geotools.factory.GeoTools;

15) The import org.geotools.factory.Hints cannot be resolved
ImageTiler_org.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/raster line 32 Java
Problem
Line 32 in the Java file:
import org.geotools.factory.Hints;

16) The import org.geotools.GML cannot be resolved GMLFeatureReader.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/data line 21 Java
Problem
Line 21 in the Java file:
import org.geotools.GML;

17) The import org.geotools.map.event cannot be resolved AbstractMapPane.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 31 Java
Problem
Line 31 in the Java file:
import org.geotools.map.event.MapBoundsEvent;

18) The import org.geotools.styling.SLDParser cannot be resolved
LayerPopUpMenu.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 40 Java
Problem
Line 40 in the Java file:
import org.geotools.styling.SLDParser;

19) The import org.geotools.styling.SLDTransformer cannot be resolved
JLegendPanel.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/mapview line 35 Java
Problem
Line 35 in the Java file:
import org.geotools.styling.SLDTransformer;

20) The import org.geotools.xml.Parser cannot be resolved ReadKML.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/data line 18 Java
Problem
Line 18 in the Java file:
import org.geotools.xml.Parser;

21) The import org.geotools.xml.PullParser cannot be resolved
GMLFeatureReader.java
/jdbcconnection5/src/main/java/org/geotools/jdbcconnection/data line 30 Java
Problem
Line 30 in the Java file:
import org.geotools.xml.PullParser;