I'd use plain toilet paper alone for awhile to give his nose the best
chance to heal.  Then gradually introduce aspen, corncob, and Carefresh
and hopefully he'll be OK with one of those.

Also, what do you use to clean their home with?  Sometimes they can be
allergic to the cleanser, even if you rinse well.  Try just hot water (if
you aren't already) and rubbing alcohol if you feel the need to
sterilize.

--
Tana and The Little Rascals
http://members.home.net/tlr-gerbilry