Hi everyone,

I'm back from holidays and there are about 900 emails from the GML!  I doubt I'll
every get through them, but it's great to see it going to strong.

I just want to thank everyone who replied to my sister's plea for help a few weeks ago
regarding her accident with my gerbils and the resulting depression of little
Poke-poke immediately afterwards.  She sent me an urgent email to call as soon as it
happened.  I could only cry way on the other side of the world, feeling so helpless
and far away.  But she kept me updated since about what Poke-poke and the new baby
friend she ran around desperately to find before he died of loneliness.  Thanks so
much for all your help and advice!  She followed your words to a T, in fact, the day
she actually removed the barrier, she spent the whole day basically sitting next to
the cage with gloves on, waiting to reach in at the first sign of a fight.  But
everything went smoothly and they're best friends now.

They both came home to me yesterday and wow, not only have they taken to each other,
but Poke-poke has become so very protective of the little guy (who's still nameless)!
Everytime someone comes up to the cage or a hand goes in, the little guy of course
comes around out of curiosity.  Without fail, Poke-poke shows up in a flash and is
everywhere nosing around and making sure no one's hurting his little buddy.

However, when my sister first put them together, Poke-poke apparently first completely
ignored the wide-eyed baby staring at him and timidly following him around, then
turned around and stomped all over the poor little fellow!  My sister swore she could
hear him blaring that he's bigger and he's the boss, so there.  Then when the little
guy tried to copy him digging in the corner, Poke-poke waited until he was right next
to him, then gave him a sudden mighty shove and boing!  Suddenly the little guy was
shaking his head, completely confused as to why he was now in the opposite corner of
the cage.  Then Poke-poke decided to groom him, only the little baby didn't want to be
groomed, so Poke-poke simply sat on him, flattened him out, and proceeded to groom.
My sister couldn't even see the poor squeaking baby under Poke-poke, he was so much
bigger than him!

But oh, the baby's so cute!  He's dark-eyed, a dusty brown color, with a ring of white
around his neck, a small splash of white reaching between his ears, a dot of white on
his back, and white tip on the tail.  I know I've seen this pattern in the color
palette, I just have to look it up.

I still miss Ding-dum though.  My poor little gerbil, at least it happened fast.  I
didn't even get to bury him.  I'm so glad that I took some pictures just before I
left.  He was about 5 months old.

Amy
The Jeu-jeu Gerbils